Join our zoo community
Goura

Red-crowned Kakariki

Red-crowned Kakariki
Goura, 18 Jun 2020
    • amur leopard
      Difficult one. They're all very similar, but I think it is either Red-crowned or Reischek's, and from there I suspect Red-crowned is more common in captivity, so I would go with that.
      Goura likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      It's a Red-crowned Kakariki, but in most parts of the world there's a good chance it won't be pure (there has been a lot of hybridisation between Red- and Yellow-crowned Kakariki in non-NZ aviculture). Where was the photo taken?
      Goura and gentle lemur like this.
    • Goura
    • Chlidonias
      @Goura I think I read somewhere a long time ago that there are no pure birds in Australia any more, only birds which look more like one species than the other.
      Goura likes this.
    • Goura
      @Chlidonias Interesting - I'm heading down there tomorrow and I'll ask if anyone knows.
    • Chlidonias
      @Goura At Peel Zoo? That zoo has never struck me as somewhere that is particularly conversant with the specifics of identification...
      Goura likes this.
    • Goura
      @Chlidonias You're probably correct on that one. The new owner is an aviculturist but the diversity of avian species they used to have back in 2011 is not quite the same. I haven't been there for about a year so it will be interesting to see what developments have taken place.
      Chlidonias likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Peel Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Goura
    Date:
    18 Jun 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1920px
    Height:
    2560px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-3
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/15 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    104 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).