snowleopard

Red-Flanked Duiker/Colobus Monkey Exhibit

May 8th, 2010.

Red-Flanked Duiker/Colobus Monkey Exhibit
snowleopard, 9 May 2010
    • snowleopard
      May 8th, 2010.
    • Tarsius
      Hard to spot the duikers in this exhibit, really good for them with so many hiding places. Since when Seattle is keeping rufilatus ?
    • Ituri
      Have they mixed the colobus now? Are there colobus in both this exhibit and the netted one down the trail?
    • snowleopard
      There were still 5 colobus in the netted enclosure on the Rainforest trail on my visit, but the signage is already posted and there are signs saying that the monkeys will "intermittently" be on public view. I'm going to email the zoo and find out what is definitely going to happen, but perhaps a new primate species is going to arrive at the zoo or maybe the zoo's 5 colobus are going to be split up. I'm just glad to know that there will once again be active primates in with the shy duikers!
    • snowleopard
      The zoo was speedy with their response, and there has been a slow introduction of 2 geriatric colobus monkeys into this gorgeous exhibit that contains duikers. The remaining colobus will stay in their netted enclosure near the gorilla groups.
    • Dagobert
      is the enclosure on the photo netted? I really can't tell...
    • snowleopard
      There is zero netting, and this is arguably one of the finest small antelope exhibits that has ever been created. That is a bold statement, but anyone who visits the zoo is amazed at this natural-looking habitat.
    • Dagobert
      You're right, it really seems to me as it would be an outstanding and role model exhibit for displaying these forest dwelling species.
    • snowleopard
      Interestingly enough the early 1990's inhabitants of this outstanding exhibit were DeBrazza's guenons (who kept escaping) and blue duikers. For probably at least a decade there have been red-flanked duikers here, and in the past year and a half colobus monkeys have also been added to the habitat.
    • Dagobert
      How do they prevent the Colobus monkeys from escaping? Do Guenon's leap further?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    9 May 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: