Chlidonias

Red-legged Partridge (Alectoris rufa)

24 April 2015

Red-legged Partridge (Alectoris rufa)
Chlidonias, 24 Apr 2015
    • Chlidonias
      24 April 2015
    • zooboy28
      Nice! Partridge are so rarely exhibited. I think they and the Rook are probably the species I'd be most excited about seeing at Willowbank.
    • Chlidonias
      mm, the Rook is a bit sad because he (or she) has a small aviary and just sits there looking forlorn most of the time, I think largely because he must be very old.

The partridges are in the walk-though kea aviary so they make a very good display (there is a small covey of them, maybe six or so). They are quite relaxed about visitors too, so easy to photograph. There used to be quite a lot of other species in the aviary as well, but now just the Red-legged Partridges, the Kea (I guess about ten of them), a few remaining Australian Crested Pigeons, and I think that's it. Maybe a Barbary Dove or two.
    • Chlidonias
    • zooboy28
      The Alpine Aviary sounds like a great idea, shame they don't still keep a duck species in here, with the Kea and Partridges it would be quite interesting. Seems like Willowbank doesn't have a particularly cohesive display anymore.
    • Chlidonias
      I may write a review sort of thing one day. The zoo is basically in four parts. First the "New Zealand Wild" I think it is called, which is where they stick a lot of random "New Zealand" things like Cape Barren geese, fallow deer, emus and wallabies; this is where the ostrich was as well. Next the exotic zoo section (monkeys, lemurs, otters, a lot of the exotic birds, etc). Next the farmyard which has a number of interesting domestic breeds (and the rook). Lastly the native area which at a total guess is about half the reserve's area. This is the best part, and is obviously where all their endemic birds and reptiles are displayed.

It is generally pretty separated, but there are various "wrong" animals scattered around, like those exotics in the kea aviary.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Willowbank Wildlife Reserve
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    24 Apr 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: