Join our zoo community
LaughingDove

Red-necked Stint

Red-necked Stint
LaughingDove, 24 Jul 2016
    • LaughingDove
      24/07/2016
      Rottnest Island
      I\'ve spent ages going through two different field guides to try and work this out but I\'m still not sure. I hate identifying waders.
      I have many additional view of this wader and noted down some stuff about its behavior while I watched it (for a long time) so if any particular features would be helpful let me know and I may be able to provide them/
    • Chlidonias
      every time I look at this picture it makes me think it's a curlew sandpiper but it isn't (the bill isn't long enough). I think it might be the angle of the shot. If you've got some other shots it might help. If you think it was the same as the others, and it was likewise really small, then it's probably also a red-necked stint. The bill just doesn't look right.
    • LaughingDove
      Yes, same size as the others and seemingly the same behavior. This one was on the same lake but about 50 metres further down.

I have attached a couple of side-on views as well as views of the bird from the front and back.
    • Chlidonias
      yeah the bill looks much better in those photos. If it's the same size as the others I'd say red-necked stint as well.
    • LaughingDove
      I'm pretty sure this is the same as the others and I'm pretty confident with Red-necked Stint too.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Australia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    LaughingDove
    Date:
    24 Jul 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: