Join our zoo community
Chris79

Red River Hog Exhibit, Howletts, 14 March 09

The red river hogs enjoy a spacious woodland enclosure alongside the road. The adult pair have recently had 3 hoglets, 2 male and 1 female.

Red River Hog Exhibit, Howletts, 14 March 09
Chris79, 15 Mar 2009
    • Chris79
      The red river hogs enjoy a spacious woodland enclosure alongside the road. The adult pair have recently had 3 hoglets, 2 male and 1 female.
    • snowleopard
      This appears to be much larger than the average red river hog zoo exhibit, and it's great to hear that they are breeding.
    • Chris79
      It's comfortably the largest red river hog exhibit I've seen. The photo probably shows just less than half the total area, but I can't be completely sure because the rear fence disappears behind the brow of the hill. A lot of Howletts' paddock and open-topped enclosures are generously proportioned. Some of the cat and primate cages, although well-furnished and very high, are a touch on the small side.
    • Pertinax
      Its a much better enclosure than the pair at Port Lympne have..

The Howletts pair have bred more than once but the original and older pair at Port Lympne never bred(probably because of a 'sibling' relationship?). The old male there died recently and the old female has a new young partner- probably a previous offspring from the (unrelated) Howletts pair. Perhaps they will also breed now like their Howletts counterparts.
    • Pertinax
      This group is up to nine in number with the birth of two more hoglets to the Pair recently( I imagine they've had 3 or more litters now). Biggest groups in the UK are at Woburn and Colchester and now here too.

Despite the large area the Hogs have denuded the vegetation completely- and that was when it was a smaller group as in this photo- so it also shows how they can damage grassland/paddock surfaces in mixed exhibits.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Howletts Wild Animal Park
    Uploaded By:
    Chris79
    Date:
    15 Mar 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: