Join our zoo community
cypher

Red-Tailed Hawk

Say this guy on my visit last weekend. If I remember correctly, this hawk's name is Shriek. He was being carried around by a trainer. When a lot of people gathered around, he started explaining some of the animals history. He's around 15 years old, I think, and used mainly for educational purposes. He's also a rescue, having been hit by a car years ago. Couldn't catch most of what he was saying, as I was focusing on getting shot and returning a lost iPhone.

Red-Tailed Hawk
cypher, 26 Apr 2014
David Matos Mendes likes this.
    • cypher
      Say this guy on my visit last weekend.

If I remember correctly, this hawk's name is Shriek. He was being carried around by a trainer. When a lot of people gathered around, he started explaining some of the animals history.

He's around 15 years old, I think, and used mainly for educational purposes. He's also a rescue, having been hit by a car years ago.

Couldn't catch most of what he was saying, as I was focusing on getting the above shot, and returning a lost iPhone.
    • TZFan
      Shriek sounds farmilar for one of the hawks.

And how nice of you to return someones iphone. If you hadnt found it someone else likely would have swiped it.
    • cypher
      Yeah, my dad and I found the phone on the ground outside the Americas pavilion. I picked it up with the intention of bringing it to the front gate, hoping they had a lost and found. But while we were at the Sumatran Tiger it started ringing, so I answered. The man was clearly frantic as he asked where I was. I told him, and 5 minutes later he found me.

Turns out his wife dropped, and they hadn't noticed. He was so relieved to have it returned.
    • TZFan
      There is a lost and found somewhere at the gates. I've never needed to use it so I dont know where it is. I think by the Peacock cafe but not hold me to that.

I'm only certain it exists because on of the recent board document mentioned getting rid of surplus stuff and unclaimed lost and found items. If things arent claimed (I dont know how long) they either chuck it or donate it to a group that can use it. Nice to know they dont chuck everything. I would guess anything thats in good shape is probably donated to something like Value Village. Good for them.
    • adams7
      The lost and found is at Guest Services. If items aren't claimed the day of, then they are given to Security and stored at the Administration building.
    • Chlidonias
      you were focusing on getting shot? Is that a typo?
    • cypher
      Indeed, that is most definitely a typo. Will fix that now.
    • TZFan
      How sad is this? I wondered what Chlidonias was talking about with a typo. Read the sentence 7 times before I finally read what was actually written and not what I thought was written. Our minds are wonderful things, filling in the gaps for us.

Cypher Im glad you didnt have to worry about being shot at the zoo. It would have been really odd if you did have to worry about that and choose to share a photo and info on Shriek instead of sharing your harrowing story of survival. "The keeper told me I better take a good picture of the hawk or else..." LOL.
    • Chlidonias
      I thought cypher must have meant shot in terms of the photo.... but then there was the shooting recently by the National Zoo and who knows what goes on in Toronto! :p
    • TZFan
      I dont think Toronto is anywhere near that bad but the zoo does have some sketchy neighbours.

If Cypher was really in danger you really have to respect the dedication to photography. Guns ablazing and still gets the shot and then modestly posts the photo without describing the life or death photographic decision made, that takes nerves of steel.

Like how Im building you up Cypher, our fearless photographer... always getting the photo no matter what the danger. Ok now I have a cheesy cartoon image running through my head. That's it I have officially lost it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    26 Apr 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    138.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    908px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2014:04:20 11:59:48
    Exposure Time:
    1/640 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 250
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).