MagpieGoose

Refurbished ROTRA exhibit

Refurbished enclosure at Realm Of The Red Ape now home to Bornean Orangs

Refurbished ROTRA exhibit
MagpieGoose, 31 Jan 2016
    • MagpieGoose
      Refurbished enclosure at Realm Of The Red Ape now home to Bornean Orangs
    • JigerofLemuria
      Artificial, but very tall; that gives this indoor area points.
    • gentle lemur
      These 3 indoor enclosures were originally planted, but the orangs destroyed all the plants. The wire roof is used for feeding as well as supporting the hanging straps. One of these indoor enclosures has sway poles too.
      The two large outdoor enclosures are thickly planted, as well as having telegraph poles and a network of webbing for climbing.

Alan
    • Pertinax
    • taun
      Enrichment and that they didn't expect them to destroy it so quickly, the fact that the enclosure is huge and therefore might be able to manage the destruction?

All logically reason why they may have tried and glad they did, it was fantastic when first opened. I wish they have tried longer but would have meant limiting access to indoor area (so only one or two were accessible.
    • Pertinax
      Given they spend most time indoors it was never going to work as Orangs are notorious 'wreckers.' It was worth a try maybe but the outcome was very predictable. I don't know if the outdoor areas are still planted but that has a much better chance of withstanding them as they use it far less.
    • gentle lemur
      The two large outdoor areas that the Sumatrans used are thickly planted, the odd bush has suffered, but most have done very well. The smaller netted outdoor enclosures that the Borneans used have suffered much more. The one viewed from near the exit has not been used by the orangs for some time, and the surviving plants have recovered. I suspect that the Borneans may be more destructive than the Sumatrans, but I hope that the planting is now so well established that it will survive.
      Incidentally the orangs have free choice of being indoors or out, at least during the zoo's opening hours, and I would estimate that they divide their time roughly equally in good weather.

Alan
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    MagpieGoose
    Date:
    31 Jan 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    340.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ72
    Date / Time:
    2016:01:31 14:58:56
    Exposure Time:
    10/130 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    3.58 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).