Join our zoo community
Newzooboy

Ringtail

Nov 2018

Ringtail
Newzooboy, 1 Dec 2018
    • TeaLovingDave
      Genuine Cacomistle, or is this a Ringtail?
    • Terry Thomas
      Good photo.
    • Arizona Docent
      @TeaLovingDave It's a ringtail. I have heard the terms used interchangeably and I thought they were the same animal. However your post made me look it up just now and I see the cacomistle is a closely related species found farther south.
    • Newzooboy
      Thanks guys......

I wasn’t sure either and obviously jumped the wrong way.
    • Goura
      I love these animals - great photo!
    • TeaLovingDave
    • Arizona Docent
      Agreed. When I first moved to Tucson (over two decades ago) I did a moonlight tram ride in Sabino Canyon, a scenic natural area in the foothills of the Catalina Mountains. On the way back the driver pointed out a ringtail on the side of the road. That was the first time I had heard of this animal and the only time I have seen one in the wild.

I almost saw a wild one a couple years ago with former ZooChatter Jbnbsn99 on a Saturday night opening at Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. We had just finished a late dinner and were on our way out when a couple said they just saw one in the patio of the cafe. We rushed back there and looked all over but didn't see it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Newzooboy
    Date:
    1 Dec 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T3i
    Date / Time:
    2018:11:20 22:43:50
    Exposure Time:
    1/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    110 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).