Join our zoo community
Zooish

Rivers of the World - Ganges River

This aquarium houses several species of medium-sized fish including Indian Mahseer, Bighead Carp, Clown Knifefish and Goonch.

Rivers of the World - Ganges River
Zooish, 10 Apr 2013
    • Zooish
      This aquarium houses several species of medium-sized fish including Indian Mahseer, Bighead Carp, Clown Knifefish and Goonch.
    • ThylacineAlive
      What species of Goonch? I didn't know there were any in captivity.

Thanks for the amazing pics by the way!:D

~Thylo:cool:
    • Cyanoliseus
      There is a sign for Goonch but there is none inside (this happens quite frequently at river safari, I think many of the animals are still to be put in their tanks). There were some nice knifefish as well.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Yes I understand but my question remains the same- what species?

~Thylo:cool:
    • Cyanoliseus
      Bagarius yarrelli is I am not mistaken.
    • Zooish
      Yes the sign states B. yarelli. They're uncommon in zoos and aquaria but relatively common among fish hobbyists. They don't come cheap though. The specimen at River Safari is still in holding.
    • condor
      That tank looks quite interesting.
      Keep in mind that that Bagarius taxonomy is a mess and that includes B. yarelli. Unless it's one of the giants and originates from the Indian subcontinent (which may or may not be the case; most zoos/aquaria use geographic terms rather broadly), its taxonomic status and correct name remains unresolved. Maximum reported size for southeast Asian B. "yarelli" is smaller.

I'd greatly appreciate a scientific name for the mahseer. There are many species in India. Based on apparent size and color I guess T. putitora, but I'm not strong in this genus and many species are quite similar.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    River Wonders
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    10 Apr 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: