Join our zoo community
bongorob

Roan Antelope Chester Zoo 14 July 1990

Roan Antelope (Hippotragus equinus) in the Cattle House at Chester Zoo. These were imported from Dvur Kralove but never bred at Chester and the surviving male was eventually sent to Whipsnade.

Roan Antelope Chester Zoo 14 July 1990
bongorob, 14 Feb 2008
    • bongorob
      Roan Antelope (Hippotragus equinus) in the Cattle House at Chester Zoo. These were imported from Dvur Kralove but never bred at Chester and the surviving male was eventually sent to Whipsnade.
    • Writhedhornbill
      What was kept on the other side of that fence?
      What else was kept in the cattle house?
      Did the zoo ever breed Sable antelope?
      What happened to the zoo's sable antelope?
    • CZJimmy
      Was this the last time the "Cattle & Antelope House" ever held an antelope species? I only ever remember babirusa and now Visayan Warty Pigs in one half and Forest Buffalo in the other... I can't believe the sign is still there!
    • bongorob
      Hornbill it was 18 years ago, I can't remember what was next door. Other species I can remember were Scimitar-horned Oryx, Dexter Cattle, Zebu (I think).

On 13 June 1984 the house conntained Ankole Cattle, Gaur, Grant's Zebra and Zebroid.

On 13 June 1994 Roan Antelope, Congo Buffalo, Gemsbok and Scimitar-horned Oryx lived there.

Sable Antelope never bred at Chester, they usually kept surplus males and only ever had one female. They were sent away in 2004, I don't know where to or why.

CZJimmy I had also noticed the sign still says Cattle and Antelope, you are probably right in saying they were the last antelope to be kept there.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    bongorob
    Date:
    14 Feb 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    224.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1070px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).