Join our zoo community
Toddy

Rostock Zoo - Polar bear exhibit

The main polar bear exhibit in Rostock Zoo, Germany. It is from here that the EEP for polar bears is co-ordinated. October 2006

Rostock Zoo - Polar bear exhibit
    • Toddy
      The main polar bear exhibit in Rostock Zoo, Germany. It is from here that the EEP for polar bears is co-ordinated.
      October 2006
    • snowleopard
      That's almost as bad as some of the truly horrible polar bear dumps in Japanese zoos.
    • Animal
      No, its not! It´s relativly big, has sandareas (left side), ab big watermoat, and much possibilitys to climb. Don't judge a exhibit just after one pic!
    • snowleopard
      Nothing but gray cement, with an ugly gray wall in the background, in an enclosure that is far too tiny for such immense mammals. The sandy area is puny, the climbing opportunities are a joke, and this is easily one of the worst polar bear exhibits on ZooChat. These bear pits/grottoes are gradually being phased out of all zoos worldwide, but some zoos are just taking longer to do that than others. Eventually it will be either bulldozed or renovated...
    • Kwambeze
      Scandinavian Dyrepark

I think Scandinavian Dyrepark in Denmark shud have/be the EEP cordinator. They have the biggest polarbear exbtih I never seen. Big pool, grass .....

Some pothos from Scandinavian Dyrepark, Toddy?

(I now, Im so bad in english)
    • snowleopard
      @rillekolmard: there are already a bunch of photos in the gallery for the Scandinavian Wildlife Park, and the polar bear exhibit there does look to be excellent.
    • Jodea
      You can't choose the EEP-coordninator based just upon the quality/standard of their exhibit for the animal. The coordinator should be a person who have a lot of experience according the species, their biology etc. And have knowledge about population managment and record keeping. Even though the Scandinavian Wildlife Park seem to have a terrific exhibit it's not sure they could run the conservation program. After all they have only kept polar bears for a few couple of years (since 2006 I think I've read somewhere).

But this doesn't hide the fact that this particular enclosure don't seem to be especially nice, as you said.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Rostock
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    24 Nov 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    272.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1154px
    Height:
    865px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    uD800,S800
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).