• Orycteropus
      Rotterdam Zoo Map

Europe
      Africa
      Asia
      North America
      South America
      Oceanium

You can choose from three different routes that have been designated by wooden signs.

The three routes are the following:

1. the blue Shark route (including the Oceanium)
      2. the orange Gorilla route (through Africa and Europe)
      3. the red Elephant route (through Asia)

Wooden sign example
    • snowleopard
      I've spent some time browsing through all of the photos from Rotterdam Zoo, and I have to admit that I'm quite impressed by a large number of the exhibits. This appears to be yet another outstanding zoo from the Netherlands, a tiny country with a small population that nevertheless has a rich zoo history. Does Rotterdam take a full day to tour? Judging from zoo maps it is always tricky predicting the exact size and scope of any zoological establishment.
    • Maguari
      Rotterdam's a full day-er, for sure. The Oceanium and Riviera Hall could easily be half a day in themselves.

I've been to most of the larger Dutch zoos; Rotterdam is my favourite by some distance. And up against places like Emmen and Arnhem, that's quite an achievement!
    • CZJimmy
      Much like Snowleopard, i've spent some time recently viewing the many excellent photos that Orycteropus has uploaded from Blijdorp and i'm itching to get to Rotterdam now ;)

It appears to be one of the best in Europe, so how would some of the more experienced zoo-visitors (Maguari?) rank this alongside the other top European or world-wide zoos?

EDIT: I've just noticed Maguari's comment about it being their favourite in Holland!
    • Maguari
      It'd be in my European Top 10, without a shadow of a doubt - and almost certainly in my Top 5.

It'd even be one of the zoos in with a chance of being the No 1 - but it'd have to fight it out with the Berlins and Vienna. And Prague (going here again in May - can't wait!). And probably Leipzig once Gondwanaland's open!
    • Toddy
      Rotterdam is an absolutely fantastic zoo and my personal favourite, just topping Burgers and Leipzig. I have been there four times the last being in the summer of 2008. I saw the baby indian rhino only three days old but unfortunately missed the Crocodile River and Arctica by just a week...
    • Orycteropus
      Snowleopard, the zoo covers 28 hectares, the older part (first thumbnail) is 17 hectares, the extension area (second thumbnail) is 11 hectares. As Maguari said correctly the park has some built-up areas, but most part of the zoo has nicely designed landscapes geographically arranged according to continents which gives visitors a very pleasant walk.

As always, it is up to the individual how much time needed touring round the zoo, it took me four days.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Rotterdam Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Orycteropus
    Date:
    27 Mar 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: