Join our zoo community
FunkyGibbon

Ruddy Kingfisher

Ruddy Kingfisher
FunkyGibbon, 31 Oct 2019
    • birdsandbats
      I assume the bird is flightless?
    • FunkyGibbon
      It's inside another aviary. I assumed that it had just been introduced and they left it in there to acclimatise.
      But you could be right of course.
    • Andrew Swales
      @birdsandbats

How did it get onto the perch, if it is flightless?
    • Great Argus
      @Andrew Swales The perching is clearly placed so the bird can simply walk off the ends of the perching directly to the ground.
    • Andrew Swales
      @Great Argus

Good to have an opinion of a kingfisher expert, thank you; as I was not aware that kingfishers would 'walk up' perches'... I assumed that there was a fine mesh over the 'hole' in the tent, but maybe not - and that the bowed perch was positioned that way to be above the heat mat.
    • Great Argus
      @Andrew Swales Yes, they will hop along perches if they feel so inclined. I don't think there's any mesh over the center there at the moment, I assume that's what the rolled up section at the top is.
    • FunkyGibbon
      Something else to consider: this photo was taken on a very cold January day. Presumably the main function of the tent is to provide extra warmth (especially by being closed at night).
      Great Argus likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tama Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    31 Oct 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/2.0
    Make:
    Xiaomi
    Model:
    MI 5s
    Date / Time:
    2019:01:13 12:51:01
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4.73 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).