Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Ruins

Ruins
ThylacineAlive, 2 Apr 2019
TheGerenuk and Hammy like this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Two pillars exposed but the lack of vegetation. January 26, 2019. The sign on the right reads, "These lands became the home of the Lydio Family A.D. 1802. And by them these forests were preserved and protected until acquired by the city A.D. 1888." The sign on the left appears to be an 'in memory of' plaque but the only name words I can read are "Philip _____ Lydio". I have no other information on these pillars.
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • Zooplantman
      There used to be stone steps down the hill from these pillars. They were removed around 1997 or so. I kept a couple of pieces.
    • Zooplantman
    • Zooplantman
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Zooplantman Thank you! This mystery confused me for quite some time. Any idea why they removed the stairs and blocked access to the memorial?

~Thylo
    • Zooplantman
      The area takes you behind World of Darkness and Snow Leopards so it was blocked decades ago to keep visitors from wandering back of house. The steps were demolished because the director saw no value in preserving remnants of the old zoo :(
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Zooplantman That's a huge shame, especially considering the historical significance of many other areas of the zoo.

~Thylo
      Zooplantman likes this.
    • Zooplantman
      To be sure the survival of the steps only encouraged visitors to explore areas where they should not go, but other historical structures were demolished during those years that could have been adapted and interpreted to visitors. Such a loss.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Zooplantman I agree. While I think the zoo has done a great job of preserving Astor Court, it'd be nice to see the history displayed a bit more throughout the entire zoo. How many people have seen the Rockefeller Fountain, or the original gate, or the Rocking Stone? Or understand the significance of the original New York Zoological Society seal displayed in Astor Court?

Personally my favorite "hidden" piece of zoo history is the Cold War era nuclear bomb shelter sign still posted on the administration building opposite the original bird house.

~Thylo
      Zooplantman likes this.
    • Zooplantman
      The Heads And Horns Building !
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bronx Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    2 Apr 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    11.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2018:01:26 12:40:28
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    75 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).