snowleopard

Russia's Grizzly Coast - Minnesota Zoo

July 1st, 2008.

Russia's Grizzly Coast - Minnesota Zoo
snowleopard, 7 Jul 2008
    • snowleopard
      July 1st, 2008.
    • snowleopard
      One bear can't decide whether or not to plunge into the icy water, while the second bear is only showing its ears due to the large number of fish that are swimming around its head.
    • BlackRhino
      The Russia's Grizzly Coast appears to be a superb, intricate set of habitats with some of the best enclosures for Grizzly Bears, Amur Leopards, and Sea Otters.
    • Buckeye092
      I really like this set of exhibits because it focuses on a region very rarely displayed (at least correctly) in zoos - the Kamchatka Peninsula. Usually zoos just group Amur Tigers with other Asian species, but I love an exhibit when a zoo is picky enough to pick a specific region and only display animals from that region. Most people are also probably surprised to learn that boars, Brown Bears, and Sea Otters live in Eastern Asia, although they aren't really Grizzly Bears, so maybe they should change the exhibit name lol.
    • Ituri
      That depends on which taxonomist you ask. I've read recently that some consider the US population and the northern Asian population to be the same subspecies.
    • Buckeye092
      Really? That's odd. I always thought most taxonomists were in agreement about Brown Bear subspecies - well except the wackjobs that keep proposing absurd subspecies.

Also, the Kamchatka bears are more closely related to Kodiaks than Grizzlies. Unless people have started lumping Kodiaks and Grizzlies together.
    • snowleopard
      Whatever subspecies the bears are, their exhibit is an amazingly intricate example of brilliance in enclosure design. Where are the fences, poles, moats or wire? All hidden around curves, corners, hills or rocks. The glass is all there is separating humans from bears weighing hundreds of pounds, and the exhibit is perfectly natural and a wonder to behold. This is what all zoo exhibits should aspire to look like, and the Minnesota Zoo has presented a serious challenge to the Woodland Park Zoo as to who has the best brown bear enclosure in North America.:)
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Reminds me of Seattle's grizzly habitat. NICE!
    • snowleopard
      The 2009 winner for Best Exhibit of the year! This zone of the zoo (grizzlies, sea otters, Amur leopards and wild boars) is simply superb, and regardless of any awards is a brilliant set of zoo habitats.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Minnesota Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    7 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    365.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.2
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:01 12:55:46
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).