Join our zoo community
Zooish

S.E.A. Aquarium - Open Ocean

The centrepiece of the aquarium is the 60-million litre Open Ocean habitat. It will house up to 50,000 creatures, including manta rays, goliath groupers, Napolean wrasse, zebra sharks, giant guitarfish and leopard whiprays. It features the world's largest acrylic panel, at 36 metres long, 8.3 metres high and 70 centimetres thick.

S.E.A. Aquarium - Open Ocean
Zooish, 29 Nov 2012
    • Zooish
      The centrepiece of the aquarium is the 16-million litre Open Ocean habitat. It will house up to 50,000 creatures, including manta rays, goliath groupers, Napolean wrasse, zebra sharks, giant guitarfish and leopard whiprays.

It features the world\'s largest acrylic panel, at 36 metres long, 8.3 metres high and 70 centimetres thick.
    • devilfish
      Thanks for uploading these photos so soon, Zooish. The aquarium looks quite impressive - what did you think?

I also came across this youtube video showing various parts of the aquarium:
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geyrIe5n8kQ&list=UU0y6xL1G6i9h0yWrlBO-SCQ&index=1&feature=plcp]Resorts World S.E.A Aquarium - The World's Largest Aquarium - YouTube[/ame]
    • Zooish
      It's definitely a vast improvement over Underwater World Singapore which had all the while been the only aquarium in the country. The SEA Aquarium is only about half-stocked at the moment, with more species being added daily (dolphins are in but in quarantine so their habitat windows are covered up). So the collection at the moment is a bit lacking, with the only real "star" being the manta ray.

The 3 major exhibits - Open Ocean, Shipwreck and Shark Seas are all impressive in size, but are let down by poor consideration of sight-lines. The Open Ocean has ugly rear windows (hotel rooms), while Shipwreck and Shark Seas' roofs are clearly visibly from the glass tunnels.

The rest of the smaller tanks are all of good quality, but it does get a bit repetitive with over a dozen tanks themed as some kind of coral reef habitat and holding mostly small fish. The 10 zones also lack distinction between one another (save for East Africa which features freshwater tanks and the Bay of Bengal mangrove tank).

The interpretive are pretty snazzy, with touch screens and auto-scrolling panels, although the latter can test your patience if you want a quick species I.D. The touch pool is puzzlingly small for an aquarium of superlatives.

I'll be posting the rest of the photos in batches in the coming days.
    • devilfish
      Thanks. I look forward to seeing the rest of your photos. :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Marine Life Park
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    29 Nov 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: