Join our zoo community
Zooish

S.E.A. Aquarium - Open Ocean

The tank now has almost 50,000 fish, mostly scads and fusiliers that form dense schools. There are also large schools of unicornfish and batfish, and at least 8 species of rays (manta, mangrove whipray, leopard whipray, cowtail, cow-nosed, spotted eagle, bowmouth guitarfish, giant guitarfish). A few more species of large fish are still to be added, including tuna and mahi mahi. There will supposedly be 6 manta rays eventually. I also suspect that the aquarium is interested in getting billfish (images of billfish appear around the aquarium), specifically Indo-Pacific sailfish.

S.E.A. Aquarium - Open Ocean
Zooish, 27 Dec 2012
amur leopard likes this.
    • Zooish
      The tank now has almost 50,000 fish, mostly scads and fusiliers that form dense schools. There are also large schools of unicornfish and batfish, and at least 8 species of rays (manta, mangrove whipray, leopard whipray, cowtail, cow-nosed, spotted eagle, bowmouth guitarfish, giant guitarfish).

A few more species of large fish are still to be added, including tuna and mahi mahi. There will supposedly be 6 manta rays eventually.

I also suspect that the aquarium is interested in getting billfish (images of billfish appear around the aquarium), specifically Indo-Pacific sailfish.
    • Chlidonias
      that's looking very impressive
    • Zooish
      I still can't get over those ugly windows though. They're hideous!
    • Zooish
      Make that at least 10 species of rays, I missed out the giant shovelnose ray and honeycomb whipray in the earlier post.
    • DavidBrown
      Would sailfish be a first for an aquarium, or is there any history of captive husbandry of these species?
    • Zooish
    • Zooish
      A 3rd manta ray has been added to the exhibit this week. Smallish specimen with a 2m wingspan.
    • filipinos
      Wow, 3 Mantas already!

Are they really getting sailfish?
    • Zooish
      Just my suspicion. The aquarium has never publicly said so. It probably won't commission the capture of sailfish, but if there is an opportunistic catch the aquarium would possibly want it.
    • Zooish
      The aquarium now lists their male manta as M.birostris and their 2 females as M.alfredi.

One of the giant groupers that was previously identified as a Malabar grouper (E.malabaricus) has been re-identified as the critically-endangered Altlantic goliath grouper (E.itajara).

Blackfin tuna have been added to the exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Marine Life Park
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    27 Dec 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: