Join our zoo community
TZFan

Sabi and Zohari

Sabi and Zohari
TZFan, 7 Jun 2015
    • TZFan
      The girls were out together and Tom was nowhere to be scene. Guess a day off from trying to make more rhinos.
    • cypher
      Haven't seen Tom with the girls yet this summer. Hopefully, they'll be together soon.
    • TZFan
      Probably no point in stressing the girls by having him in the same exhibit until one of them is cycling. Maybe they are trying to better mimic natural conditions where they aren't around him until they are ready to breed.
    • Jake.Roberts
      So Tom was decided to breed with them, what about Tony? and is it Johari or Zohari?
    • cypher
      I believe Tom is well represented genetically, whereas Tom isn't. May be wrong on that, hopefully someone can confirm that.

And it's Zohari. Johari is one of the Gorillas.
    • Jake.Roberts
      That's what I thought ahahaha! When I saw Johari I was like mmmm I don't know about that! Thanks again cypher!
    • cypher
      No problem Jake. Hopefully the title will be fixed soon.
    • TZFan
      Sorry my usually precise mind had a boo boo. I will change the name.

In reference to breeding... Tom is considered the more genetically valuable male. Sabi and Zohari are first generation AZA born rhinos. Their parents are imports. Tom also comes from more valuable bloodlines. The only reason Tony is at the zoo is because he and brother KC were fighting with each other at Granby and they didn't have the space to keep both guys separately anymore. It was easier for Toronto to send elderly female Shaboola to hang with KC while Tony came to Toronto. Tony can breed with the girls if Tom fails as breeding bull but the SSP definitely prefers Tom.

Sabi and Zohari just became old enough to breed last summer but it was just barely. No one held out great hope for a calf conceived in 2014. The odds are better that this summer might produce a calf now that the girls are older.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    TZFan
    Date:
    7 Jun 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    487.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.4
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P530
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    27.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).