Join our zoo community
Maguari

Saharan Striped Weasel (or Polecat) at Pilsen, 31/08/12

[i]Ictonyx libyca libyca[/i] Always be there for the 8am opening - you'll need the full day and if you go straight to this African nocturnal house you'll find most of the lights still on and the newly-fed animals active.

Saharan Striped Weasel (or Polecat) at Pilsen, 31/08/12
Maguari, 3 Feb 2013
amur leopard likes this.
    • Maguari
      Ictonyx libyca libyca

Always be there for the 8am opening - you\'ll need the full day and if you go straight to this African nocturnal house you\'ll find most of the lights still on and the newly-fed animals active.
    • TeaLovingDave
      *glares at Maguari with amiable envy*

:D
    • Maguari
      These were probably my favourites of the *ahem* on-show animals at Pilsen this time round. Lovely little things and a new species for me.

Pilsen's a good place to go if you like new things - even having been there only two years previously there were NINE mammal taxa on show that I'd never seen before. And the Zoohistorica tour took us into some of the legendary off-show areas - where I saw another TEN new mammal taxa! It's also remarkable in that this huge diversity has not generally led to unimaginative or too-small displays - it's a top-quality place in all areas.

I await the planned new Asian expansion (with elephants and doubtless ten or twelve dozen other species!) with interest.
    • TeaLovingDave
      I have a feeling you have seen almost all the carnivore ticks which are bound to make me wildly envious ;) the day you see African Golden Cat, Marbled Cat and Patagonian Weasel is the day you *will* have to be put to death :D
    • Maguari
      I didn't miss Marbled Cat by too long at Saigon - they've had them within the last few years but no sign when I was there. Sounds like I had a near escape! :D
    • Giant Eland
      What were the NINE!? and what were the other TEN off show!? The Saharan Striped Weasel was off show when I went.

This remains my favorite Zoo experience ever! I was able to see 99 (out of a possible 100) new mammal species here over two days. Most were off show. The one I missed was Richardson's Ground Squirrel- on show but not showing themselves :( I recently made up for this at a private breeder's place in Michigan :)
    • TeaLovingDave
      Considering the many, MANY species you have been seeing of late which make most of us extremely jealous, you are the last person on Earth allowed to complain about a nice species being offshow ;) especially as you are, as far as can be told, the last person to have seen the very last Zorilla in Europe!
    • Maguari
      On show:
      Saharan Striped Polecat
      Syrian Marbled Polecat (ssp. syriaca)
      Garden Dormouse (Eliomys quercinus)
      Small Egyptian Gerbil (Gerbillus g. gerbillus)
      Mount Kenya Typical Striped Grass Mouse (ssp. ardeus)
      Dusky Pademelon
      Southern Flying Squirrel
      East African Bat-eared Fox (ssp. virgatus)
      Forest Dormouse (Dryomys nitidula)

In addition, Balabac Chevrotain and Southern Tree Hyrax only weren't new for me because we'd seen them at Prague a few days earlier, so they almost count!

Off show:
      Lowland Streak Tenrec (H. semispinosus) (the Highlands hid from us!)
      Grandidier's Tufted-tailed Rat (Eliurus grandidieri)
      Arabian Jird (M. arimalius)
      Tristram's Jird (M. tristrami)
      Anderson's Gerbil (G. andersoni)
      Syrian Jird (M. libycus syrius)
      Two pure subspecies of Bushy-tailed Jird (calurus and makrami)
      Long-tailed Pouched Rat (Beamys hindei)
      Pygmy Mouse (Mus cf. minutoides - next door to a tank of the usual mattheyi)

There were a few things off show I saw a tank for but not an animal, but we were a big group and the rooms were busy so overall the list is not too bad!

My first Richardson's was on a pet stall in Barcelona. They have a habit of popping up in odd places!
    • TeaLovingDave
      That said, it may not have been a lifetick for you after all - did you ever see the Marbled Polecats at Edinburgh or Tropical Wings prior to your trip to Pilsen? As noted by Al on the comments for your V.p.syriaca photo, these animals were said ssp too.
    • Maguari
      True! I was working off the notes I made at the time before I knew that.

Well, it was the first time I knowingly saw them. :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Plzeň
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    3 Feb 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    178.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/5.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2012:08:31 08:05:53
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    220 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).