Join our zoo community
KCZooFan

Savanahland Educational Park - Striped Hyena Exhibit

Savanahland Educational Park - Striped Hyena Exhibit
KCZooFan, 18 Sep 2011
    • KCZooFan
      September 17, 2011
    • sooty mangabey
      Where is this rather nasty looking place? Is it in Kansas somewhere?
    • snowleopard
      It is located in the state of Missouri, which is also home to the wonderful Saint Louis Zoo and the very good Kansas City Zoo. Savanahland is a shade below those two on the scale of zoological attractions.;)
    • FBBird
      Savanahland Striped Hyenas

Even I think this looks a bit small, barren and scruffy. However, does anyone know how well the animals do in it? Do they stereotype a lot, are they physically well, what is the quality of the animal/keeper relationship?
    • snowleopard
      Even if the striped hyenas are in peak condition and are in impeccable shape then that becomes meaningless as there is nothing to praise about this awful enclosure. Worn dirt inside of a rusty metal cage does not create an impression that is noteworthy. What conservational message could possibly be obtained? Indeed, what is the point in keeping such rare and wonderful mammals if they are barely visible behind ugly metal fencing? Visitors might think that it is okay to have such species in their own backyard, but this shambles of a zoo has no place in the modern zoological world.
    • KCZooFan
      I agree 100% with snowleopard. No matter how great the care is (and I doubt it is great), this is unacceptable and if the owner truly cares about animals, he will close this, and maybe donate these rare animals to one of the zoos that deserves it.

It didn't help my opinion when less than an hour later I visited the Kansas City Zoo and saw chimps and baboons in multi acre exhibits, compared to these tiny hell holes. They were trying to get people to call the local government to stop a ban on primates. I shall now be calling the government urging them to after seeing the conditions they are kept in here.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Savanahland Educational Park (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    KCZooFan
    Date:
    18 Sep 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: