Join our zoo community
filipinos

Savannah Exhibit at Zoo Santo Inacio, 30/12/12

Housing Common Eland, Grevy's Zebra, South African Ostrich, Blue-Winged Goose and Off-Show Lowland Nyala.

Savannah Exhibit at Zoo Santo Inacio, 30/12/12
filipinos, 2 Jan 2013
    • filipinos
      Housing Common Eland, Grevy\'s Zebra, South African Ostrich, Blue-Winged Goose and Off-Show Lowland Nyala.
    • ThylacineAlive
      This exhibit doesn't seem very large. Are the zebra and nyala just loners or are there others of their species at the zoo?

~Thylo:cool:
    • filipinos
      This exhibit is very large. This is only a very tiny corner where the elands were. When i went to this part all the animals except a pair of ostrich and a zebra went here.
      There are 2 Grevy´s Zebras and 2 Plains Zebra at the Zoo. I saw a Nyala and what seemed a juvenile. I guess a recent arrival was a male.

EDIT:
      You can see a bit more in this pics, including a nyala at the far back. They aren´t really good too.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Yes this is much bigger then I thought. This seems like a nice zoo that I'd love to visit if I ever end up in Portugal for some reason.

~Thylo:cool:
    • filipinos
      It´s a very nice zoo. They have very nice plans and this exhibit will house Giraffes in the near future. That´s why this new savannah was built. The indoor holdings has the size to hold them.
    • skizzo
      The zoo seems pretty nice but its lacking in big animals. For it to be like real savannah, at least some lions, leopards and elephants are essential.
    • filipinos
      How did you knew that there were no Elephants, Leopards or Lions? The last two are housed in a nearby zoo and the first one is too big and expensive at this time.
      This is a small zoo that is only 10 years old. This savannah exhibit is new and in the next few months giraffes are awaited to be housed here.
      There are also Sudanese Cheetahs in a big paddock next to this enclousure.
      I also don´t agree with your last phrase. To be like a real savannah it doesn´t have to exhibit Elephants or Lions, in my opinion.
    • skizzo
      Well because those are part of the african "big 5". Obviously they aren't obliged to have those animals there, but it would make the savannah habitat more complete.
      Maybe in the near future elephants might be a possibility, who knows. Would be nice.
    • filipinos
      The "Big 5" aren´t very common in zoos worldwide.
      I think they would really benefit from having Elephants, as in this country with 10 million people they are only kept in one place.
    • skizzo
      At the Lisbon zoo right? Yeah at least one zoo in the North of the country should have elephants, considering its a region with many people living there. Does the zoo have enough room to host elephants, or is it too small?
      I've been to the Lisbon zoo, and I did enjoy it, and I think Santo Inacio could be its northern equivalent if managed well. The Maia zoo seems a bit too small to be main zoo of Porto area in my opinion.
      Do you work at Santo Inacio? You seem to know a lot about the zoo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Santo Inácio
    Uploaded By:
    filipinos
    Date:
    2 Jan 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    478.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-P200
    Date / Time:
    2012:12:30 11:48:14
    Exposure Time:
    10/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    7.9 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).