Join our zoo community
MountainBongo

Savannah Species List

Savannah Species List
MountainBongo, 15 Sep 2012
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      That is a nice mix, although if I am not mistaken (which I could be) the addra gazelle do not fit geographically.
    • jbnbsn99
      Nor would the Bontebok.
    • Arizona Docent
      jbnbsn99 changed his avatar. That is not an aurochs by chance? (I am assuming they died out before photography was around).
    • devilfish
      It's the Kouprey holotype at Vincennes, Paris ;)
    • MountainBongo
      No they don't. The zoo used to have Thomson's gazelle, Roan antelope, Cinereous vultures. Those were a better fit then the new Addra gazelle.
    • jbnbsn99
      I didn't technically change it, I never had one. I figured since I'm writing a book on the beast, might as well go whole hog, I mean errr, ummm whole ox.
    • snowleopard
      Below is an excerpt from my 2010 review of this underrated zoo, and it includes a species list for the Savanna:

The centerpiece adjacent to the large village is the 18-acre Savanna with these 10 species: Reticulated giraffe, Grant’s zebra, marabou stork, ostrich, African crowned crane, bontebok, impala, greater kudu, Addra gazelle and waterbuck. There are numerous viewing opportunities of this enormous field, and while at times there perhaps could be more of the animals than just a handful of each (for example I saw zero kudu and only one bontebok) there can certainly be no complaints about the amount of space given to such a variety of savanna creatures.
    • Arizona Docent
      Well that half answers my question. Now if you can just tell me what holotype means.
    • Hix
      When a species is described for the first time, statistics (i.e. measurments, weights etc) are recorded from a particular individual that is representative of the species. this individual - the Holotype - is then lodged in a museum. If there is some discussion or disagreement in the future about the species, then the Holotype is the one they refer back to.
    • Tim May
      Excellent; please inform us when your kouprey book is published; I'd definitely purchase a copy.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Binder Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    MountainBongo
    Date:
    15 Sep 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: