Join our zoo community
Maguari

Scalloped Hammerhead Shark at SeaLife Birmingham 28/02/10

Scalloped Hammerhead Shark at SeaLife Birmingham 28/02/10
Maguari, 28 Feb 2010
Macaulay likes this.
    • Maguari
      Very exciting new arrivals - not yet labelled but I believe these two young sharks to be Scalloped Hammerheads Sphryna lewini. They're in the main tank with the Green Sea Turtles and Blacktip Reef Sharks.

I'm pretty sure they'd be the only ones in Europe (and the only Sphryna other than Bonnetheads as far as I'm aware).

Once Crabzilla moves on these are the big 2010 attraction but they don't seem to have done the press release yet so I can't confirm the species - I'll be emailing the centre to confirm. They're advertised here as 'the first hammerheads in Europe': http://www.groupfundays.co.uk/news_offers/default.asp?cat=6&type=3 (puts Bonnetheads in their place!).
    • Maguari
      I've just had a very swift reply from the SLC to confirm that the new arrivals are in fact Scalloped Hammerheads (S. lewini). :)
    • Paradoxurus
      That is very exciting news - and completely unexpected.
    • Maguari
      Certainly not what I was expecting on Sunday! Only really went then because I thought I might as well go and see the big crab.

And then we find these!
    • jerseygorilla
      Well done on catching a photo of them!!! They were impossible to photograph when I visited!!!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    SEA LIFE Birmingham
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    28 Feb 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: