Join our zoo community
NZ Jeremy

Sea Lion exhibit - Auckland Zoo

This is the above water view of Sea Lion Shores, the exhibit also contains NZ Fur Seals and is ajoined to a walk through NZ Shore Bird Aviary with Little Blue Penguin and Shags among others...

Tags:
Sea Lion exhibit - Auckland Zoo
NZ Jeremy, 3 Jan 2008
    • NZ Jeremy
      This is the above water view of Sea Lion Shores, the exhibit also contains NZ Fur Seals and is ajoined to a walk through NZ Shore Bird Aviary with Little Blue Penguin and Shags among others...
    • Xerxes
      Nice looking exhibit.
    • ZooGirl101
      A beautiful exhibit indeed! One of my favourites!! That sea lion there is Scuttles.
    • zooboy28
      I agree, probably the most impressive exhibit at the zoo. The log pile at the back of the pool is directly above the underwater viewing window.

During one of the sea lion keeper talks/feedings I saw, the large male sea lion (Scuttles) climbed right to the top of that really tall rock stack (the bit in the shade), before back-tracking a bit and then jumping into the water. The female climbed up a bit too, but not as far.
    • ZooGirl101
      I know. I saw that too. I have even been in the enclosure to help feed and train the sea lions. Scuttles is one of my best friends!
    • ZooGirl101
      And the female is called Kipper by the way.
    • zooboy28
      Wow, that would be really cool. He is such a big animal, you don't really see it when he's swimming, but on the land he looks huge.
    • ZooGirl101
      Oh in water he is also big. Way bigger than Kipper, it is so easy to tell them apart!!
    • Jabiru96
      Do they still dive with the seals to clean the windows and the exhibit in general?
    • ZooGirl101
      They sure do! Once or twice a week.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auckland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    NZ Jeremy
    Date:
    3 Jan 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    405.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).