Join our zoo community
NZ Jeremy

Sea Lion Exhibit - early 1920's

All three features in this photo still exist at the zoo... In the foreground is Sea Lion exhibit... Sea Lions were kept here for 80 years till their new multi million dollar home was built, this exhibit now features waterfowl... The Elephant house in the background has been renovated and is now a function centre... The Aviary on the left now contains Blue and Gold Macaws and Fruit Bats... This photo was sourced from the book: A Tiger by the Tail by Derek Wood...

Sea Lion Exhibit - early 1920's
NZ Jeremy, 20 Jan 2008
ZSH likes this.
    • NZ Jeremy
      All three features in this photo still exist at the zoo... In the foreground is Sea Lion exhibit... Sea Lions were kept here for 80 years till their new multi million dollar home was built, this exhibit now features waterfowl...

The Elephant house in the background has been renovated and is now a function centre...

The Aviary on the left now contains Blue and Gold Macaws and Fruit Bats...

This photo was sourced from the book: A Tiger by the Tail by Derek Wood...
    • snowleopard
      I love these historic photos, and it's intriguing to see how tiny the fence is around the sea lion exhibit.
    • zebra finch
      Did the zoo have New Zealand sea lions in it when that pool was first opened? I have a copy of A Tiger By The Tail and it has a photo on page 26 of what looks like a New Zealand sea lion being fed by a man in a military unform. I am in the New Zealand sea lion trust and did some research into history of New Zealand sea lions and I looked at an old newspaper from the 1930s that said Auckland zoo was receiving Californian sea lions from the USA. Did the kiwi sea lions not adapt to that pool so the zoo aquired sea lions from California?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auckland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    NZ Jeremy
    Date:
    20 Jan 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    67.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    469px
    Height:
    343px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).