DaLilFishie

Sea Star ID

Sea Star ID
DaLilFishie, 3 Dec 2020
CarLover likes this.
    • DaLilFishie
      Seen at Cairns Aquarium, in the touch pool
    • CheeseChameleon1945
      Leather star (Dermasterias imbricata) I think.
    • CheeseChameleon1945
      Or bat star, Patiria miniata. I say this because Great argus will most likely swoop in and tell me I'm wrong. ;)
    • Great Argus
      More likely to be the native Petricia vernicina I think.
      DaLilFishie likes this.
    • Great Argus
      @CheeseChameleon2007 In fairness, you're suggesting Northeast Pacific sea stars for an Aussie aquarium without considering the native species. And having seen both species you mention, this is not either of them.
    • CheeseChameleon1945
      @Great Argus See, told you I would get corrected. Why do you know everything? Man, I'm bad at Identifications. I should never attempt them anymore. ;)
    • Great Argus
      @CheeseChameleon2007 Mistakes are part of learning, I've misidentified stuff before and learned from it. I know a lot because I have researched fish and aquatic invertebrates extensively (besides keeping them) and so in a lot of cases I've got a pretty good idea where to start if I don't know it. I've acquired and come across multiple good references over the years.
      You've got to keep studying and learning to be proficient at IDing stuff, and every so often you will make a mistake or two. I made one the other day, I had the right genus but listed the wrong species. Also try to think logically when information is available, for example investigating Aussie sea stars instead of tossing out a couple North Pacific ones.
    • CheeseChameleon1945
      @Great Argus The thing Is I do study, most of my day in fact. I know so much information, I just don't put it to good use since I have to admit, Most of the stuff I research Is little-known animals that no one talks about, like on "Are these in captivity". I don't use location often, because most of the stuff in zoos could be who knows where? For instance, Minnesota zoo keeps multiple species that don't have anything to do with Minnesota, in their aquarium, or in the jungle. I would actually like to say that I disagree with your Id and it doesn't really look like what I think it is but I know I will get roasted and I'll be left feeling stupid again. My entire life has been devoted to learning about animals, Its probably what I do 80% of the time. I don't understand how your so good at it, I've never been out of the United states or been to the Ocean, I just do it from memory. I'm sorry that I suck so much, I just thought for a minute there I was actually a smart kid, it just makes me feel dumb whenever I read the replies. I shouldn't have this horrible nervous gut feeling whenever I get notified that someone quoted or mentioned me in a post, but I do.
    • DaLilFishie
      Sorry, I should have clarified that Cairns Aquarium only keeps local species found in Queensland.
    • CheeseChameleon1945
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Animal or Zoo Identification
    Uploaded By:
    DaLilFishie
    Date:
    3 Dec 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count: