Join our zoo community
jusko88

Secret window with stingrays in the sand tiger shark tank

Secret window with stingrays in the sand tiger shark tank
jusko88, 16 Apr 2012
    • TigerValley98
      It would be nice if the cownose rays will stay in that exhibit. The zoo's newsletter did not say how many they rescued. It would be nice for the zoo to broaden the number of species in this exhibit besides sand tiger shanks and tuna.
    • NAIB Volunteer
      They defiantly don't have tuna. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is the only aquarium or zoo in the U.S. which house tuna.
    • jusko88
      [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
      [​IMG]
      @NAIB Volunteer: this is the fish TigerValley is refering to.
    • TigerValley98
      Thanks jusko88. I was just about to post a photo of them. I have always assumed that they were a species of tuna, but if someone can identify species it will be appreciated. I do not think they were on ISIS. In a related note, the US headquarters for StarKist is in Pittsburgh.
    • NAIB Volunteer
      I believe they are yellow jacks (Carangoides bartholomaei) but I could be wrong.
    • Ituri
      Well they're certainly not walruses. ;)
    • jusko88
      I looked them up and it does look like that species of fish. I asked the zoo on its facebook page just to make sure because i also liked to know where they came from too.

@Ituri: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The docent said that the walrus they were suppost get was a older breeding male from Indianapolis zoo and he ended up died a couple weeks before his arrival. And the PGH docent also told me there likely not getting one in the future because there so hard to get for captivity. so thats makes indianapolis zoo,New york Aqaurium,Point defiance zoo & both seaworld orlando/san diego that have walruses. I cant wait im going to san diego first week of june to see my first walrus :)
    • jusko88
      Pittsburgh zoo got back to me on Facebook and said the fish are called blue runners. And they also said stay tuned for more exciting news about the tank! I wonder what there putting in there? Probably the cownose rays and I'm wondering if there going to put the loggerhead turtles in there or something else (walrus I hope )
    • TigerValley98
      Thanks jusko88. That mystery is now solved. I look forward to see what they have in store for the exhibit. I will help keep an eye for the news when it is announced. I have placed basic name information on the blue runner below from Wikipedia.

blue runner, Caranx crysos
      AKA bluestripe jack, Egyptian scad, hardtail jack and hardnose

Several walrus items: Six Flags Flags Discovery Kingdom also has walruses. The walrus that would have moved to Pittsburgh was Brutus who was a longtime star in the sea lion and otter show at SeaWorld of Ohio/Six Flags Worlds of Adventure. When SFWoA closed, he moved to Indianapolis.
    • NAIB Volunteer
      Why don't they just put Harbor Seals in the exhibit? It would match the "Water's Edge" exhibit theme much better than sand tiger sharks, stingrays, and other semi-tropical species. The amphitheater will also look out of place with just fish in the exhibit. When I visited in the winter of 2009 they had sand tiger sharks on exhibit and on top of the water they had installed a pool reflector in attempt to keep the water at an acceptable temperature. I'm sure they had heaters for the water, but I really don't think it will work with stingrays or any other type of tropical/ temperate fish species.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    jusko88
    Date:
    16 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    108 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    E7600
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    17 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).