Join our zoo community
KevinB

Secretary bird (Sagittarius serpentarius), 2019-09-15

Secretary bird (Sagittarius serpentarius), 2019-09-15
    • Hipporex
      You can really see the dinosaur ancestory in this picture. It looks vaguely like what I picture a dromaeosaur would of looked like.
      Anniella and KevinB like this.
    • Anniella
      @Hipporex

Indeed. I think dromaeosaurids were more like flightless bird of prey than any mammalian or modern reptilian carnivore. That's why I never really like it when scientists compare them to wolves and other mammalian carnivores. Although if anything the proportions of this secretarybird make it look more like a troodontid than a dromaeosaurid to me.
      KevinB and Hipporex like this.
    • Hipporex
      @Anniella Looking at it again, I agree with you, troodontid seems like a better description. Perhaps it’s the gracile build of the bird.
      Anniella likes this.
    • Anniella
      @Hipporex

Yeah, troodontids often have proportionately longer legs compared to dromaeosaurids, even if some dromaeosaurids were probably quite cursorial (Dakotaraptor, Tianyuraptor).

Of course, the dromaeosaurid comparison is still an adequate analogy given they're related to birds and share many features with them. Not to mention members of both dinosaur groups likely had similar niches to the secretarybird.
      KevinB and Hipporex like this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Safaripark Beekse Bergen
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    31 Dec 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1128px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    E-M10 Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2019:09:15 15:36:55
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    215 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).