Join our zoo community
Anubis

Seoul Zoo - Korean leopard cat.

Seoul Zoo - Korean leopard cat.
Anubis, 19 Dec 2010
    • Arizona Docent
      Is this the same subspecies known as amur leopard cat (P.b. euptailurus)?
    • Anubis
      yes, the cat hunted hens in Korean villages.
    • Fossa dude
      I have never herd of this species. To me they look quite like the fishing cat.
    • Arizona Docent
      Leopard cats are one of the most common small cats around (in the wild, though also a fair number in captivity, but not as many in the U.S. these days). They have a huge geographic distribution across Asia and from one researcher I spoke with (working in Thailand) the only one that people actually see with any regularity. They are also the originators of the bengal cat breed of domestic cat (from crossbreeding a domestic cat with a leopard cat).
    • Fossa dude
      Yes I have herd of the leopard cat. My relatives used to own a bengal cat. I was talking about this subspecies it's very interesting.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      Nice shot! Very heavy coats.
    • baboon
      All the leopard cat subspecies living in the north of Qinling Mountain (including north China, Korea and Russia) are grey-colored like this one, and almost all the subspecies living in the south of Qinling Mountian (including south China and southeast Asia) are yellow-colored.
    • Nanook
      The head markings are very much like the Fishing Cat, it is interesting that the coat does not have any obvious spotting markings as would be seen in many Leopard Cat species.
    • TeaLovingDave
      This being something I have remarked upon in the past; compare these two shots taken by myself.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • IanRRobinson
      Leopard Cat is a species that almost invites splitting. The big animals of the Russian Far East look so very different to those from India or South-East Asia that it's very hard to believe that they're the same form. Indeed, I'm reliably informed that that taxon (euptilura) has been labelled in German zoos as being a good species.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Seoul Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Anubis
    Date:
    19 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    58.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    400px
    Height:
    266px
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 500D

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).