Join our zoo community
E Maximus

Shanti

Smithsonian National Zoo's 45 year old elephant Shanti 2/14/2020. If you look at her feet you can see where keepers are treating abscesses caused by her arthritis.

Shanti
E Maximus, 18 Feb 2020
    • AmbikaFan
      Oh, she looks to be lifting her left leg slightly... She must need relief, but she really doesn't have a good leg to stand on. When I was there in October, she was in this exact position and made direct eye contact with me for about 3". She knows me from years of close-up visits before the renovation with my daughter in the dead of winter when we'd have them and Marie all to ourselves. She's very non-confrontational, and I've never seen that kind of penetrating eye contact from her. I'm positive she was trying to tell me something, in a way that seemed almost urgent for her, but I have no idea what it was. Thank you for sharing this. Bozie looks really good here, without those love handles I saw in October and January. Maybe she gets bloat as a result of that life-threatening gastro illness she had in 2013?
    • AmbikaFan
      Shanthi's flapping her ears, so unless that's some very special morsel curled in her trunk, she knows and is happy to see you!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Smithsonian National Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    E Maximus
    Date:
    18 Feb 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3024px
    Height:
    4032px
    Aperture:
    f/2.0
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Date / Time:
    2020:02:14 13:50:24
    Exposure Time:
    1/65 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 250
    Focal Length:
    6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).