Join our zoo community
SMR

Sheba and Family - 27/01/2011

Taken just a couple of weeks ago, the elephants in this photograph are, left to right: Sheba (died 09/02/2011), Nayan, Thi with her new as yet unnamed female calf (born 22/01/2011) and Sundara. With thanks to Mariebee for helping with the IDs.

Sheba and Family - 27/01/2011
SMR, 10 Feb 2011
CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
    • SMR
      Taken just a couple of weeks ago, the elephants in this photograph are, left to right:

Sheba (died 09/02/2011), Nayan, Thi with her new as yet unnamed female calf (born 22/01/2011) and Sundara.

With thanks to Mariebee for helping with the IDs.
    • gentle lemur
      An excellent photo and a fine memorial for Sheba. I am sure she enjoyed having calves in the group.

Alan
    • Bele
      Has Sheba got a rug on her back in the photo or is it her natural hairiness ?
    • SMR
      Natural hairness, plus a good dollop of sand. Now that the entire paddock has a sand substrate, the elephants tend to be covered in the stuff. It actually makes them look quite rusty in appearance, and when the new calf was born, until she went outside she looked really grey in comparison.
    • Bele
      Thanks , I can see better on the photo of Sheba with a very small Nayan , it is what looks like an edge of something at the back of her head that confused me .
    • NigeW
      What a remarkable photograph. I have never seen the elephants line up like this, and the timing of it couldn't be better. A piece of history.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      Great Picture but i know Nayan is still a young calf but is he more independent of Sithami now?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    SMR
    Date:
    10 Feb 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    427.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    960px
    Height:
    640px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2011:01:27 13:55:50
    Exposure Time:
    1/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    320 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).