Join our zoo community
geomorph

Siberian Tiger Exhibit - Viewing Area

For details, see my review http://www.zoochat.com/22/review-san-francisco-zoo-158768/#post334582

Siberian Tiger Exhibit - Viewing Area
geomorph, 2 Jul 2010
    • Falcosparverius
      What are the rows of metal bars that run horizontally above the sheet glass?
    • geomorph
      They provide a bit of shade to visitors standing near the glass, which is rarely needed in this climate!
    • Zooplantman
      I wonder if they are an effort to reduce glare on the glass (or plexi?)
    • Falcosparverius
      Both answers seem reasonable (shade & reduce glare) and make sense, but rarely is there sun at the San Francisco Zoo!
    • Zooplantman
      Yes, but full sun is not required for glare. You'll see alot of reflection of the pavement on the glass on any day. The shade structure helps somewhat. And given the mist and spray there, I wonder whether the view really works much of the time?
      But of course, this was never about seeing tigers
    • Falcosparverius
      I see how glare could be a problem; but viewing the tiger is still possible, because you should be able to see within a few hundred feet even with fog.
    • Zooplantman
      Ah great. I was thinking of condensation on the glass actually
    • Buldeo
      Note: That's a remarkably clean image of the plexiglass sheet that's gone up around all of the cat grottoes. It doesn't look like that today. The rather harsh marine climate has caused some oxidization around the edges of the glass in addition to the collection of graffiti etched into the panels. In short, it doesn't provide the greatest viewing opportunities.

Also, are we calling the metal overhang a "shade structure"? Those aren't panels running along the top, they're essentially metal strips (I believe) intended to discourage visitors from climbing into the enclosure. At any rate, they're ugly as sin and should be removed posthaste.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Francisco Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    2 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: