Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

sign for wild bats

the zoo has several signs around the grounds for wild animals which are found there naturally, including large-billed crows and water monitors. None that I saw for squirrels curiously. They also have this sign for http://www.zoochat.com/296/greater-short-nosed-fruit-bats-cynopterus-354345/ which the other week I completely missed, to my great embarrassment. A couple of days ago someone told me about the bats so I returned to the zoo and after a few minutes search in the palm grove I found a little group. They bite along the leaves so that they hang down in a sort of tent, and then they roost underneath. My photo of the bats is the link above. February 2014

sign for wild bats
Chlidonias, 3 Feb 2014
    • Chlidonias
      the zoo has several signs around the grounds for wild animals which are found there naturally, including large-billed crows and water monitors. None that I saw for squirrels curiously. They also have this sign for http://www.zoochat.com/296/greater-short-nosed-fruit-bats-cynopterus-354345/ which the other week I completely missed, to my great embarrassment. A couple of days ago someone told me about the bats so I returned to the zoo and after a few minutes search in the palm grove I found a little group. They bite along the leaves so that they hang down in a sort of tent, and then they roost underneath. My photo of the bats is the link above.

February 2014
    • toto98
      Very nice to have them free but still on exhibit... but arent they disturbed by the visitors??
    • Chlidonias
      they are quite high up off the ground (in the tops of palm trees), most people can't even find them (they are quite small bats and without binoculars they are more like clusters of dark blobs!), and most people probably don't bother looking for more than thirty seconds (I watched some people, and then showed them where the bats were).

They are wild bats so if they don't like it there they can always go find some palm trees somewhere else, so they must be comfortable enough living there.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dusit Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    3 Feb 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: