Join our zoo community
pipaluk

Signage 6/10/19

For Pertinax, pen between Cape barren and Greater Magellan geese

Signage 6/10/19
pipaluk, 8 Oct 2019
    • Pertinax
      I was there a few weeks ago now(Boxing Day) but this sign and any geese weren't there by then! I didn't see the Cereposis either- or Ruddy-headed, and the sign for the latter had disappeared also. The pens between the Freckled Ducks and the Magellans seemed to be empty.
    • Andrew Swales
      @Pertinax
      Just curious... is that a new sign or are these being phased out? It does not have the conservation status shown, and so would not pass a UK Zoo Licence inspection...
    • Pertinax
      I don't know. I didn't take this one- Pipaluk did. I am not aware of their current signage policy either. Its an ongoing mystery whether their Ashy-headed geese are on/off display. Having failed to see them the previous visit, I was told when I messaged the Trust to enquire last year that they were in fact off display- but that was before this signage was photographed(by Pipaluk after reading my comments) last October. Then I go on Boxing Day but neither the sign or the birds are there again by then...mysterious...:confused:
    • pipaluk
      I didn't see any geese in that pen, just the sign!
    • Pertinax
      @pipaluk Yes, I remember you noting that. Maybe they read the conversation on here and put the sign up just as a joke. It wouldn't surprise me...!:D But it definately wasn't there by Boxing Day...
    • cuckooduck
      Sheldgeese can be buggers to house and exhibit because of their pugnacious behaviour. Hopefully they will be back on exhibit soon ! @Andrew Swales what is the UK zoo license regulations about signage ?
    • Pertinax
      @cuckooduck I am not sure whether they have been on show at all at Slimbridge during at least the last twelve months. When I enquired Slimbridge simply said they were 'offshow'- no explanation. Most of their Sheldgeese are kept in seperate pens in one area but some seem to be missing recently, on my visit on Boxing Day I saw neither Ashy-headed, or Ruddy-headed, or Cereopsis either. Orinoco are now in the South American pen, while Abyssinian Blue-winged I think shares with some other species.
    • cuckooduck
      @Pertinax Slimbridge currently has the following Sheldgeese species on display :
      Cereopsis- with a gosling- Loopway pens
      Andean geese-Loopway pens
      Greater Magellan-Loopway pens
      Black Spurwing-Loopway pens
      Orinoco- In South America
      Abyssian Bluewing- Next to the Lesser Flamingos

I believe Slimbridge still holds Ruddy headed and Ashy headed geese, off display. It seems that Slimbridge rotates the Sheldgeese species it exhibits in these pens, and I am sure both Ashy heads and Ruddy heads will be back on display soon :)
      Pertinax likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Slimbridge WWT
    Uploaded By:
    pipaluk
    Date:
    8 Oct 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5504px
    Height:
    3096px
    Aperture:
    f/2.0
    Make:
    Sony
    Model:
    G8441
    Date / Time:
    2019:10:06 11:08:42
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 40
    Focal Length:
    4.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).