Chlidonias

signage for the Stellers sea cow (Hydrodamalis gigas) model

August 2013

signage for the Stellers sea cow (Hydrodamalis gigas) model
Chlidonias, 29 Aug 2013
    • Chlidonias
      August 2013
    • DavidBrown
      How do they expect anyone to read these signs if they don't put them in English? Geez.
    • IanRRobinson
      Well, Vladivostok is in Russia, I suppose. But dashed unreasonable of the blighters, all the same.
    • DavidBrown
      Просто потому, что русский аквариуме нет никакого оправдания сейчас, не так ли?

I just discovered Google Translate and now I'm going crazy with it.
    • IanRRobinson
      "Just because Russian tank there is no excuse now, isn't it?"

Incomprehensible but wonderful. Thank you Mr Brown!
    • DavidBrown
      What went into the translator was "Just because the tank is in Russia, that is no excuse, now is it?"

I guess that they still have some bugs to work out.
    • Chlidonias
      what's fun with Google Translate is to put a sentence from English into, say, Russian, then the Russian one into Norwegian then into Malay (go through as many languages as you want), and then finally back to English and see what the result is.

Hours of excitement!
    • condor
      As an aquarium with quite few international visitors (based on the info I've been able to find), an English requirement is perhaps questionable. Absense of English is also reasonably common in German, French, Spanish and Latin American zoos with few international visitors. Large and/or with a reasonable number of foreign visitors typically do have some English, however. I'm more puzzled about a few relatively large Japanese zoos/aquaria that lack English on their signs, beyond a species name.

I guess this aquarium may close when much larger (25 million liter) Primorsky Aquarium opens?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Vladivostok Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    29 Aug 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: