Join our zoo community
zoogiraffe

Signage style

Signage style
zoogiraffe, 28 Nov 2015
    • Arizona Docent
      Interesting they call it European moose and not European elk. Is this a new trend on your side of the pond, or just a quirk of Knowsley?
    • zoogiraffe
      Speaking for myself I have always called these Moose and not Elk!!!
    • Chlidonias
      the sign says the moose is the second-largest mammal in Europe. Assuming they mean terrestrial mammal, what is the largest? Is it the wisent?
    • Maguari
      Yes, they must be thinking of Bison bonasus.
    • Maguari
      I think 'moose' is becoming a bit more common - I suspect simply because it's the more familiar word to the general public (to put it bluntly, moose get a lot more mentions on American TV than British, so exposure to the word elk is pretty minimal in comparison. Indeed, as I'm typing this there is a moose on my telly that has just been called 'moose', in a slightly perturbing coincidence!). I avoid 'elk' in all English-language contexts as it's simply confusing (see previous moose/elk threads! :D ). 'Moose' and 'Wapiti' cover all cases without confusion, so we don't need 'elk'.
    • gentle lemur
      My personal view is that Americans can call their animals whatever they want and we ought to use their names for their animals too, if we have nothing better. But I'm never going to use the name duck hawk for a peregrine, neither will I say moose when I should say elk. If that confuses people I am perfectly happy to explain the difference between a moose and an elk.
      A quick internet check shows that the Whipsnade website uses the m word, while the ZSL inventory says European elk. The HWP website says Eurasian elk - it's my favourite ;)
      If you ever see me near this sign with a can of spray paint in my hand, please gently restrain me :)

Alan
    • Maguari
      If it were simply a case of Eurasian vs. North American Alces, I'd agree. The potential confusion comes because, as you know, 'elk' in the US refers to a completely different animal - and it's confusion that is completely avoidable using established names, so I do!
    • savethelephant
      Or we could all just use scientific names and make it easier on ourselves:p

Of course, with all this splitting and lumping it might not be so useful for now...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Knowsley Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    zoogiraffe
    Date:
    28 Nov 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    332.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix E510
    Date / Time:
    2015:11:28 12:02:59
    Exposure Time:
    10/380 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).