Join our zoo community
Hix

Silky Shark

A Silky shark circling myself and another diver during a deco-stop.

Hix, 31 Mar 2018
CarLover, Maguari, Macaw16 and 2 others like this.
    • Chlidonias
      That's cool.
    • Hix
      Thanks!
    • DavidBrown
      Have you ever been nervous while in the water with a shark?
    • Hix
      Most of the time they just ignore you, but this one was called in by the other diver. There have been two occasions where I have had concerns:
      • In between boat dives I was snorkelling by the boat in the water at a location where fisherman clean their fish and throw the remains overboard. Giant trevallies and silkies frequent this area to feed and one of them, a little excited, came up alongside and brushed past me.
      • On a night snorkel in Flying Fish Cove I was coming into the shallows, in about 1 or 1.5 metres depth around a large rock that traps a pool of water at low tide. A White-tipped Reef Shark appeared in my torchlight in the pool and then charged straight at me (if 'charged' is the right word). I instinctively put up my camera in front of me to block it, and pulled the trigger that takes a photo, firing off the flash that would have been blinding at that distance of only a few centimetres. The shark veered past me into deeper water and disappeared. Unusual behaviour I put down to the shark swimming into a dead end in shallow water and then finding it's only exit blocked by a snorkeler, so I think it may have panicked and just headed at speed towards safety.

I still trust White-tips, but on solo night dives or snorkels I still get a little apprehensive when I see them.

:p

Hix
      DavidBrown likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Underwater photography
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    31 Mar 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count: