Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Silver Fulu Signage

Silver Fulu Signage
ThylacineAlive, 1 Sep 2017
    • ThylacineAlive
      Conservation Hall: Silver Fulu signage. September 24, 2016. This is an example of the aquarium's electronic signage which switches species every few seconds. I believe the scientific name for the Silver Fulu is actually Haplochromis argens now, correct?
    • gentle lemur
      I haven't seen the name 'Silver Fulu' before, but I have seen fish labelled as Haplochromis argens. Unless my memory decieves me, they didn't look like this illustration, but there may have been some reclassification since I saw them. The body shape of the fish in the picture is very similar to Haplochromis/Yssichromis pyrrhocephalus that the Horniman and Chester had for many years. This genus or subgenus, take your pick, are planktivores and are relatively small, graceful and active compared to other Victorian cichlids.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Interesting. When I Googled the name Silver Fulu before posting this photo, I only got three results: an old news article claiming Akron Zoo bred them and they were Extinct in the Wild (no scientific name given), an inventory list for Akron Zoo which called them H. argens, and a Reddit post from someone claiming to work at an aquarium which bred them, also referring to them as H. argens. I also did find a single image listed as Silver Fulu of a fish looking like the above image, don't recall if it included a scientific name or not.

~Thylo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    New York Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    1 Sep 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2015:09:25 12:51:30
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    75 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).