Join our zoo community
zoogeek

Silverback & browse

Silverback & browse
zoogeek, 18 Oct 2009
    • zoogeek
      Thanks! I wish there was a docent at this exhibit. I wasn't sure of the troop size.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      what subspecies is this western lowland? wonderful photo btw.
    • zoogeek
      Western Lowland. I think there are only Western Lowland gorillas in North American zoos. There was 1 Eastern Lowland gorilla in captivity but he/she passed away a few years ago. I don't remember the zoo.
    • Maguari
      There are two female Eastern Gorillas at Antwerp Zoo, Belgium, that are meant to be the only ones outside Africa.
    • Buckeye092
      Pittsburgh has 2.6 gorillas all in one single troop. This looks like Harry to me.
    • zoogeek
      Thank you Maguari & ColumbusZoo001!

The last Eastern Lowland Gorilla in North American zoos was Mac or M'Kubwa who lived at the Houston Zoo. He was 51 when he was euthanized on May 21, 2004. You can view more info at monkeywire (a great list to join, BTW): [monkeywire] A sad goodbye as sick gorilla is euthanized. You can view a photo of him at the Gorilla Haven website: Crisis in the Congo.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      oh, alright thanks. In the books I've read mention that there are quite a few eastern lowland in zoos.

Any reason why Western lowland is the main subspecies in captivity in the first place? I'd love history lesson.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    zoogeek
    Date:
    18 Oct 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: