Join our zoo community
DavidBrown

Site of Griffith Park Zoo (former pre-1966 Los Angeles Zoo)

Most of the zoo is gone now. It is a picnic area. A few of the buildings and exhibits remain as a reminder of what zoos used to look like. The former elephant barn is now a restroom and can be seen in the distance on the left. The bear grottoes and cat cages are along a pathway to the right of this view.

Site of Griffith Park Zoo (former pre-1966 Los Angeles Zoo)
DavidBrown, 21 Apr 2015
    • DavidBrown
      Most of the old zoo is gone now. It is a picnic area. A few of the buildings and exhibits remain as a reminder of what zoos used to look like. The former elephant barn is now a restroom and can be seen in the distance on the left. The bear grottoes and cat cages are along a pathway to the right of this view.
    • Arizona Docent
      I have seen the grottoes and an old cage on the hill above them, which are very interesting. I did not know about the restroom being a former elephant barn.

I was just barely too young to remember this zoo, although I grew up with Los Angeles Zoo. My older brother remembers visiting this zoo as well as the new facility.
    • Blackduiker
      Aw, what memories! I visited this zoo site on many occasions as a very young Angeleno; I was born in Los Angeles in 1955. The bear pits and lion cage stand out most in my mind.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Griffith Park Zoo (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    DavidBrown
    Date:
    21 Apr 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    605.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px
    Aperture:
    f/3.2
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L28
    Date / Time:
    2015:04:14 23:33:05
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).