Join our zoo community
mstickmanp

Slow Loris

This was my first time seeing the Loris awake. I had seen it many times, but always sleeping. Now I just need to see the Panay Cloud Rats...

Slow Loris
mstickmanp, 23 Oct 2011
    • mstickmanp
      This was my first time seeing the Loris awake. I had seen it many times, but always sleeping. Now I just need to see the Panay Cloud Rats...
    • Blackduiker
      Way to go Mario! A real rarity on any visit!
    • IanRRobinson
      Yes, a real trophy photo! Based on my experience at RP, Panay Cloud Rat will keep you waiting some time yet!
    • mstickmanp
      Yeah, I'm afraid that will happen, especially since they are not exhibited in a nocturnal exhibit...:(

That was the same reason why it took me almost 4 years to see the Slow Loris awake.
    • DavidBrown
      I really wonder if the cloud rats and the loris are intended to be displayed in the old koala nocturnal house at some point...otherwise what is the point of having them at the zoo?

The San Diego Zoo's loris exhibit in the Tiger River complex is also a diurnal exhibit like this one. I just don't get it.

The only cloud rats that I have actually seen were in the World of Darkness at the Bronx Zoo (maybe these are them since they closed that exhibit apparently?). The only active loris exhibit that I've seen was the nocturnal exhibit in the San Francisco Zoo's primate complex which also has apparently closed.
    • mstickmanp
      Nope, ISIS still shows the Bronx Zoo as having Cloud Rats. Also, Bronx Zoo has Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rats (Phloeomys pallidus), while the LA Zoo has Panay Cloud Rats (Crateromys heaneyi). The other two zoos with Panay Cloud Rats are Prague Zoo and London Zoo, so they most likely came from one of those two.

Although Northern Luzon Giant Cloud Rats are nicer looking, I'm glad we got the more endangered Panay Cloud Rats.
    • IanRRobinson
      RP had a species of Phloeomys in the 1980s which were kept (and bred) in the Moonlight World. Sorry, I don't remember which form.

They were quite visible, but the Panay form are just hopeless - they never show themselves, despite being in the nocturnal house also. But as you say, it's good to be trying to do something for an animal that needs help.
    • mstickmanp
      What does RP mean?
    • Tim May
      It is short for Regent's Park (which is where London Zoo is situated).
    • Tim May
      The cloud rats at London Zoo in the 1980s were always labelled as Phloeomys cumingi but I know Frank Wheeler always insisted that they were wrongly identified.

I'm not sure what form they really were though.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    mstickmanp
    Date:
    23 Oct 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    186.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-H9
    Date / Time:
    2011:10:22 15:42:28
    Exposure Time:
    10/150 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    25.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).