Join our zoo community
Kwambeze

Snowleopards in Kolmården

Kolmarden Zoo Snowleopard exbith. (the old icebear exbith)

Snowleopards in Kolmården
Kwambeze, 2 Nov 2008
    • Kwambeze
      Kolmarden Zoo Snowleopard exbith. (the old icebear exbith)
    • European Fauna
      Incredibly beautiful.What a lucky zoo to be able to offer this spectacle.
    • drzoomi
      i never saw snow leopards in the snow in my zoo (when we had snow leopards), it's beautiful:)
    • Kwambeze
      Yehe , it is really beutiful! And winter is the best time to see them. In the summer, they just sleep.
    • Panthera Puss
      Is one of these the young male Vishnu (who came from Marwell in the UK)?
    • Baldur
      Why did Kolmarden stop having Polar Bears? I saw photos of the exhibit in the past and it seemed big enough, at least back then. And if any zoo has space for polar bears, its Kolmarden. When did they leave the zoo?
    • Dan
      The polar bear enclosure was created in the middle of the 1960s, 3000 square meter big and centrered around a piece of genuine Swedish mountain/cliff. Later, it was not considered good enough but exactly for what reason I don´t know. Guessing the bears left about 8-10 years ago. Maybe Rillekolmård or some other Swedish forumster have the exact details?

Nowadays, Sweden´s only polar bears are kept in a close to 15 times bigger enclousure at Orsa Bear park.
    • Toddy
      The polar bear exhibit was basically a very large pit. It was all rock at the bottom with a, granted, large pool. However, the bears were completely encircled in by a tall rock wall and had no outlook to their surroundings at all.

The two last polar bears in Kolmården left for the Scandinavian Wild Animal Park in Denmark back in 2005 just prior to the opening of the Polar Bear Park in 2006.
    • Dan
      From the top of the rock they had a 360 degree outlook to the surroundings.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Kolmården Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Kwambeze
    Date:
    2 Nov 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    212 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1518px
    Height:
    1202px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D40X
    Date / Time:
    2008:03:24 15:07:39
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).