Join our zoo community
Tim May

Somali wild ass x plains zebra hybrid foal; Private Collection;16th Septemb

Somali wild ass x plains zebra hybrid foal; Private Collection;16th Septemb
Tim May, 17 Sep 2013
    • Tim May
      With very many thanks to ZooChat member “Tizer” who very kindly allowed me to visit her private collection of zebras and wild asses; she also gave me permission to post photographs of her Somali wild ass x plains zebra hybrid on ZooChat.
    • TeaLovingDave
      For a moment, thanks to the photo Nanook just posted of the wild ass foal at Marwell, I thought this photo was from Marwell :p and that the foal there was thus a hybrid. An important lesson as to why not to skimread!
    • Pertinax
      Me too. I thought Yikes, how did that happen.

Tim, is the Somali Ass the father?
    • kiang
      What species does Tizer hold?
    • Tim May
      Indeed; this is a male Somali wild ass x female plains zebra hybrid.

Yes, it was a remarkable coincidence that somebody posted a photograph of Marwell’s latest Somali wild ass foal at almost exactly the same time as I posted my pictures of this hybrid foal.....

Consequently, to avoid future confusion and hopefully prevent anybody else thinking this is a Marwell Zoo picture, I have now edited the title of this image (and of my two other photographs of this animal) to explicitly state “Private Collection”.

She currently has Somali wild ass, onager and plains (Grant's) zebra
    • Pertinax
      Presumably the Somali Ass and Onager are surplus males- do you know from where?
    • zoogiraffe
      The male Onager is a temporary holding,and will be returning to Chester in due course!
    • Chlidonias
      so is this an intentionally-bred animal or an accident?
    • Tim May
      This hybrid was an accident; it was certainly not bred deliberately.
    • Vulpes
      Fascinating, I would be interested to see pictures of this guy as he matures! All equine hybrids I have seen in the past involved a domestic parent.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    United Kingdom - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    17 Sep 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    437.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1066px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
    Date / Time:
    2013:09:16 13:54:12
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    95 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).