Join our zoo community
Dan

Some pictures of the hamadrya baboon exhibit at Copenhagen Zoo - outdoor an

Pictures taken in the summer of 2009. The construction dates back to circa 1930.

Some pictures of the hamadrya baboon exhibit at Copenhagen Zoo - outdoor an
Dan, 2 Jan 2010
    • Dan
      Pictures taken in the summer of 2009. The construction dates back to circa 1930.
    • snowleopard
      Are there plans to replace this 1930's exhibit by 2030?:)
    • Dan
      I totally get your point, snowleopard. I have commented on this exhibit several times here at ZooChat. It is actually one of my first zoo memories - I saw it for the first time as a child in the 1960s. It looked like a giant mountain to me then.

But then again - and this will probably surprise you - I must say that the animals appear to be pretty happy in this enclosure. They are extremely active and I have never noticed anything that have made me worry about their welfare. Sure - a much larger and more naturalistic enclosure would be very nice. But there are some more seroius issues for the zoo to take care of. I am very much looking forward to the new polar bear exhibit that, in its turn, will mean that the brown bears also get much improved conditions.
    • Toddy
      I am affraid that I don't get your point snowleopard. This is a fine baboon exhibit for a group of the size it holds. The indoor exhibit is actually way better than the indoor exhibits of most zoos with hamadryas baboons. The rock formations have many small holes in them and many of the baboons choose to sleep out at night in these. The gravel in the bottom is used as a feeding area where the baboons sometimes gets to hunt for live mealworms.

The exhibit opened in 1928 and there are no current plans to move the baboons out of this exhibit. The baboons in Copenhagen make up a healthy and lively group.
    • Kwambeze
      I think it needs more grass...
      But they have much climbing oppurtunites and as Dan say, they look happy and play around.
    • Toddy
      Hamadrays baboons in the wild spend most of their time on rocks. And how long do you think a layer of grass would last with this group of baboons?
    • ZooLeopard
      sometimes zoo exhibits are like jokes, the old ones are the best :D
    • Dan
      By the way... "...and now for something completely different" as they put it on Monty Python´s Flying Circus:

One of my first posts here on ZooChat was on the subject on "surplus animals" (and the killing of them). Actually I did not know of the phrase "surplus animals" until I joined the site, but I had a hunch of the concept as such.

And I can´t help but to think of this subject when I watch this very exhibit, year after year after year. There is always ONE big dominant male, a few grown-up females and a lot of babies!

What actually happens to all those babies as they grow up - particularily the male ones?

I would be genuinely grateful if anyone of you professionals here at the site gave me a straight forward answer to this question.
    • snowleopard
      @Toddy: we do occasionally have our different opinions on ZooChat, but it is always a pleasure to hear from you and I can see your point of view. However, if the Hamadryas baboons were taken out of their deep concrete pit, and the bizarre concrete formations were replaced with grass, leaves, trees and other foliage wouldn't there be even more natural behaviours from the primates?

Bronx Zoo's multi-acre gelada exhibit:

http://www.zoochat.com/547/bronx-zoo-baboon-ridge-41277/

Singapore Zoo's much more natural (but still extremely rocky) Hamadryas baboon exhibit:

http://www.zoochat.com/40/hamadryas-baboon-exhibit-great-rift-valley-95164/

Also, there is a "layer of grass" in this photo of the Hamadryas baboon exhibit at Flamingo Land in the U.K.:

http://www.zoochat.com/495/hamadryas-baboon-island-114261/
    • Blackduiker
      All things new in due time, but in the mean time, I've seen far worse enclosures.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo København
    Uploaded By:
    Dan
    Date:
    2 Jan 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    271 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1076px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D60
    Date / Time:
    2009:07:26 16:54:15
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 180
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).