South American Tapir indoor enclosure
Orycteropus, 24 Mar 2010
    • Orycteropus
      South American Tapir indoor enclosure, Györ Zoo, August 2007
    • Orycteropus
      South American House, interior

Tapir indoor holding area
    • sooty mangabey
      I visited Gyor Zoo in 1995. Of all the zoos I have ever seen, it was quite possibly the worst - just a truly awful, ragged collection of large carnivores and primates housed in shocking conditions. To see these pictures, and the change they suggest to have taken place at Gyor, is truly heartening. I'm sure it's still got a way to go, but it looks to have the makings of a decent zoo - which, back in the mid 90s, was certainly not the case.
    • Maguari
      I visited Gyor in 2003 - we were expecting something pretty rundown (actually, thinking on it, maybe you'd told us about your own visit?) and were only really stopping because it was on our way to Budapest but were pleasantly surprised. It was a very enjoyable afternoon.
    • Orycteropus
      I can imagine the conditions what You have written about, and not surprised at all. Almost every Hungarian zoos had been in a really awful condition until the mid 1990s.

In the case of Györ Zoo the directors of Budapest Zoo and Györ Zoo made a long-term development plan in 1996, without this there should have been the threat of closure of the zoo. The renovation and modernisation of the zoo has just started after that.
      To be honest, the financial background of the Hungarian institutions are still very poor, but this is not the only problem. In consequence of lagging behind in knowledge and routine in both captive husbandry and exhibitry which we could have measured in decades, we have/had to learn the way how we can adopt the proper solutions for our special conditions and circumstances. But, it needs time.

The institution is currently planning to get an EAZA membership in the future.

Sooty mangabey, Maguari, let’s visit Györ Zoo again, come see the baby Aardvark! ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Györ
    Uploaded By:
    Orycteropus
    Date:
    24 Mar 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: