Join our zoo community
Zebraduiker

Southern Black Rhion Bull

Thats Kalusho, the breeding male. He came together with Tsororo, the cow, in 1989 from Zimbabwe to Frankfurt and has fathered three female calfs, all three were sucesful raised by the mother. Because they are the only southern black rhinos in europe, the tree calfs were send back to Marakele National Park in South Africa. Unfortunately, just the oldest calf,Akura, survived and raised until now two calfs sucesfully.

Southern Black Rhion Bull
Zebraduiker, 17 Jan 2009
    • Zebraduiker
      Thats Kalusho, the breeding male. He came together with Tsororo, the cow, in 1989 from Zimbabwe to Frankfurt and has fathered three female calfs, all three were sucesful raised by the mother. Because they are the only southern black rhinos in europe, the tree calfs were send back to Marakele National Park in South Africa. Unfortunately, just the oldest calf,Akura, survived and raised until now two calfs sucesfully.
    • okapikpr
      Akura is breeding with Tim, White Oak's first Southern Black Rhinoceros calf.
    • kiang
      That is a truly international re-introduction success story, are there many American rhino back in the wild?
    • okapikpr
      Yes, Disney sent two white rhinos to Uganda (I believe) a few years ago. And there are renewed talks to reintroduce more male black rhinos to Africa.
    • Zebraduiker
      And I thought, Frankfurt was the only zoo, who has send black rhinos back to africa....
    • ungulate nerd
      Great photo! someday I really want to go to Frankfurt Zoo to see their Southern black rhinos! does any other zoo have them ? or is every other captive Black rhino an Eastern black rhino ?
    • Jabiru96
      In Australia, both Taronga Western Plains Zoo (Dubbo) and Monarto Zoo have southern black rhino (Dubbo I believe has the largest southern black rhino population outside of Africa).
    • Bib Fortuna
      There is no need to go to Frankfurt to see Southern Balck Rhionos !There are also Southern Black Rhinos in some Zoos in the Usa,I think, Dallas Zoo for example.But there is no visable diffrence between southern and eastern black rhinos. But the Pair at Frankurt is indeed amazing, they are small, but they have very impressive horns. Not at the moment, they have to grow again, after the Zoo has cut the horns last year.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Black Rhinos are a very impressive and attractive species full stop, as far as I am concerned.
    • ungulate nerd
      Thanks for this info Bib Fortuna, I was also talking to Jbnbsn99 about this and he also told me that there are Southern black rhinos currently in the US, he said that they were at Fort Worth Zoo and Disneys Animal Kingdom, they are being phased out because they are not breeding, and another reason for that is because Eastern black rhinos are far more endangered

Frankfurt still seems like a nice zoo and from what I read on Zootierliste, they have had a rich history
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    Zebraduiker
    Date:
    17 Jan 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    162.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1599px
    Height:
    1070px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).