Join our zoo community
DavidBrown

Southern right whale

Southern right whales reproduce off the coast of South Africa.

Southern right whale
DavidBrown, 25 Jul 2012
    • DavidBrown
      Southern right whales reproduce off the coast of South Africa.
    • Giant Eland
      Very nice! Was this out on a whale watch, or just on the trip to see the Great Whites? Are they common to see? Did you see any dolphin species while in South Africa?
    • DavidBrown
      Hi Giant Eland, this was on a whale watch out of the town of Hermanas which is about two hours from Cape Town. The company that owns the whale watch boats also runs great white shark tours, so they take you out to see the sharks as a bonus after you see the whales.

I think that the whales are very reliably seen during the South African winter and spring at least, analogous to how the grey whales migrate along the California coast or the humpback whales show up in Hawaii and California every year.

We did not see any dolphins on our whale watch trip, but were told that they are frequently seen.
    • Giant Eland
      Haha that's funny. The whale watch I did in Cape Cod was out of a town called Hyannis, sorta close! The dolphins I was hoping to see off the coast of South Africa were Heaviside's Dolphin. Apparently Lambert's Bay is the best place to see them, which is quite a hike north from Cape Town...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    South Africa - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    DavidBrown
    Date:
    25 Jul 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    215.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/6.7
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L24
    Date / Time:
    2012:07:19 03:36:41
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    28.836 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).