Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Southern Tamandua

DiscoveryCove- Southern Tamandua. August 4, 2013.

Southern Tamandua
ThylacineAlive, 13 Feb 2014
KevinB and Summer Tanager like this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      DiscoveryCove- Southern Tamandua. August 4, 2013.
    • blospz
      Did they happen to say what the sex of this tamandua was? I have a feeling this may be the male that's now at Smithsonian National Zoo. Thanks!
    • ThylacineAlive
      I want to say this is a male but I'm not 100% sure.

What makes you say this might be Smithsonian's new male?

~Thylo:cool:
    • blospz
      They announced the debut of the female tamandua who is from the Denver Zoo. They mentioned in a few weeks she would be joined by a nine year old male tamandua from Discovery Cove. I also heard that the male has darker coloration than her and is a bit smaller as well. I am not sure how many tamandua Discovery Cove has right now, but if this is a male, I bet it is the 8 year old or maybe his 5 year old son.
    • ThylacineAlive
      In that case we have an interesting situation on our hands. This animal is a Tamandua tetradactyla nigra and, officially speaking, the female at Smithsonian is also a T. t. nigra. However, T. t. nigra is likely due for a split with the new ssp being T. t. longicaudata and the female looks to be that. So officially, Smithsonian has two T. t. nigra which they plan to breed but technically they have 1.0 nigra and 0.1 longicaudata which they plan to cross breed.

~Thylo:cool:
    • Chlidonias
      do you have any sort of reference for this?
    • TeaLovingDave
      He's slightly misinterpreted a conversation he had with myself, in which I told him that although both tamandua in question are alleged to be nigra, the female strongly resembles the phenotype of longicaudata, the latter being a long-debated subspecies which is often lumped into the former taxon as a result of their ranges being partially sympatric, although no detailed genetic or morphological research has taken place.

As I have observed individuals belonging to both debated taxa, I said to Thylo that in my opinion further research would quite possibly demonstrate they *do* merit separation from one another, in which case the above problem would arise at the Smithsonian; I suspect Thylo interpreted this as an indication that further research was already underway, which to my knowledge it is not.
    • Chlidonias
      knowing the way both of you think, that is in fact exactly what I thought had happened :D
    • TeaLovingDave
      Not sure how to take that :D :p
    • Chlidonias
      you are a hearty splitter, and Thylo is a half-hearted listener :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Discovery Cove
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    13 Feb 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    90.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    640px
    Height:
    480px
    Aperture:
    f/3.8
    Make:
    GENERAL IMAGING CO.
    Model:
    X550
    Date / Time:
    2013:08:05 01:50:55
    Exposure Time:
    10/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    13.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).