Join our zoo community
Vision

Spanish sparrow, Passer hispaniolensis hispaniolensis

February 2019. Loro Parque, Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife.

Spanish sparrow, Passer hispaniolensis hispaniolensis
Vision, 9 Feb 2019
Chlidonias and TeaLovingDave like this.
    • Kakapo
      Hey! These tiles are the floor of the "Gambian market"?? Because it's just in this very same point where I obtained my photo of the Spanish sparrow, and the only place in my Tenerife trip where I saw it!!
      Vision likes this.
    • Vision
      @Kakapo how coincidental, indeed it is! I saw quite a few of them throughout the park (and in a few other places in Tenerife), but the ones in that 'market' were the only ones that showed well enough to let me photograph them.

I found the behavioral differences between them on Tenerife and in mainland Spain very interesting... In Spain they seemed to be restricted to areas where there were no people, whereas in Tenerife they seemed to only be in areas where there were a lot of people (but they still definitely weren't common). I wonder if this has something to do with the mainland having House sparrows, a species Spanish sparrow probably has to compete with?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Canary Islands - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Vision
    Date:
    9 Feb 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4576px
    Height:
    3296px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 600D
    Date / Time:
    2019:02:05 12:45:36
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    250 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).