Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Spectacled Bear Exhibit #1 (seen from outside zoo)

August 9th, 2019

Spectacled Bear Exhibit #1 (seen from outside zoo)
    • Arizona Docent
      Wow - people outside the zoo can see this? Interesting.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Until about 9 months ago, this held American Black Bear. There's a very nice memorial plaque on the wall next to the exhibit for Heinrich Dathe, the founding director of Tierpark Berlin who served from 1955 until 1990.
    • snowleopard
      This is a remarkable exhibit because people walking down the street can peer in and attempt to locate a Spectacled Bear. There is a second Spectacled Bear exhibit that is deeper into the park and near the Polar Bears. The Tierpark has Spectacled, Sun and Polar Bears, while Berlin Zoo has Giant Panda, Indian Sloth, Asiatic and Polar Bears. Between the two zoos, as with so many other types of animal, there is a comprehensive collection.
    • TeaLovingDave
      @snowleopard

Between the two zoos, as with so many other types of animal, there is a comprehensive collection.

Well, not quite :p but they did have a comprehensive collection between them until 2012, when the old Giant Panda male at Zoo died. By the time the new Giant Panda pair arrived in 2017, the last Brown Bear had died, and as noted above the last American Black subsequently left in late 2018.
    • taun
      @Arizona Docent Bit unique too as the zoo entrance is literally on a street. Chester obviously has a few exhibits you can view "outside" the zoo (before the entrance) but not the same as walking down a street.
    • FunkyGibbon
      There's a thread about this somewhere. I think it's becoming relatively un-uncommon in Europe.
    • DelacoursLangur
      @FunkyGibbon Shame, I always found it kind-of endearing. A sneak peak at wildlife in the middle of a city center. I like to imagine commuters in a traffic jam looking over one day and seeing a tropical Andean bear staring at them and it makes me chuckle :D
    • TeaLovingDave
      This exhibit is now empty subsequent to the death of the sole inhabitant - the oldest spectacled bear in Europe - on September 9th 2019.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Berlin Tierpark
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    18 Aug 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3888px
    Aperture:
    f/3.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS
    Date / Time:
    2019:08:09 07:22:38
    Exposure Time:
    1/320 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4.979 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).